Saturday, August 14, 2010

As good a reason as any

You know, countless is the number of blogs I've started and subsequently stalled. Then it occurred to me in one of those Whedonesque moments of cosmic inspiration - blog about what you love Aim, hell, blog about what you like and it seems to me the answer is as simple as it is shiny - books. Or more to the point, the one that's the topic of my Master's thesis - Tuck Everlasting. Natalie Babbitt's timeless (pun intended) tale gives credit where credit's due - mostly to the reader. Young or old, jaded or faithful, the book holds up because it's an excellent bit of storytelling and if the language doesn't move you to read it more than once, well, you have no soul.

As for my soul, I suspect it will be sufficiently excavated and tested over the next year as I wind my way through the process of proposing a scholarly annotation of the novel and eventually complete my Master's thesis, which, if all goes according to plan, will be the roughly 40-page introduction to the annotation itself.

For now I feel like Winnie, trapped at the edge of the yard bathed in the heat of the dog days of summer, with only a glimpse of the cool, green mysterious wood beyond. I suspect I'll be wishing for my own eternal fountain in the coming months. Here's hoping my choices are wiser than the ones of those very unlucky Tucks.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aim, I'm so glad you're blogging about books. I'll be a faithful reader for sure. Best of luck on your thesis!

    ReplyDelete